close
close

Miami developer's wife settles lawsuit after 2022 boat crash – NBC 6 South Florida

A lawsuit against the wife of a prominent South Florida real estate developer related to a 2022 accident that killed one teenager and left another permanently disabled has been settled for $16 million.

Court documents filed last week show that Cecilia Pino, the wife of developer George Pino, agreed to pay the $16 million to Katerina Puig's family.

Puig was one of 14 people thrown into the water when the 29-foot boat George Pino was driving struck a channel marker in the Intracoastal Waterway near Boca Chita Key on Sept. 4, 2022.

The crash killed 17-year-old Luciana Fernandez, a graduate of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy in Miami.

A South Florida high school student died after a boating accident Sunday evening off Cutler Bay, school officials said. NBC 6's Julia Bagg has the latest.

Puig, who was 18 at the time of the crash, was left permanently disabled.

Kathya and Rodolfo Puig, their parents, had filed the lawsuit accusing George Pino of drinking alcohol before the accident and saying he and his wife gave the teenagers alcohol.

According to an incident report from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, 61 empty alcohol bottles and cans, an empty champagne bottle and a half-drunk bottle of liquor were found on the boat, but no one admitted to consuming alcohol.

According to authorities, George Pino refused a breathalyzer test after the crash.

The FWC incident report said Pino “negligently operated his vessel, violating four rules of navigation.” The boat was traveling between 45 and 47 miles per hour, which the FWC said was a cause of the crash.

George Pino has pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor counts of negligent boating.

Anna Harden

Learn More →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *